Australia will enforce a nationwide ban on social media accounts for children under 16 starting December 10. The government added Reddit and Kick to the growing list of restricted platforms, which already includes Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Threads, TikTok, X, and YouTube.
Communications Minister Anika Wells announced the move on Wednesday, describing it as a world-first legal measure aimed at protecting children online. “We have met with several social media platforms so they understand there is no excuse for failing to comply,” Wells told reporters in Canberra.
Under the law, any platform that fails to take reasonable action to block underage users faces fines of up to 50 million Australian dollars (€28.3 million). “Online platforms use advanced technology to target children with chilling precision,” Wells said. “We are simply asking them to use that same technology to keep children safe.”
Oversight and Evaluation of the Age Restriction
Australia’s eSafety Commissioner Julie Inman Grant will oversee enforcement of the new restrictions. She confirmed that the list of age-restricted platforms will expand as new technologies emerge. “These nine platforms meet the key requirement of enabling online social interaction,” a government statement explained.
Inman Grant said she plans to collaborate with researchers to measure the ban’s impact. “We’ll study whether children sleep better, interact more, or become more active,” she said. “We’ll also monitor unintended effects and share what we learn so others can build on Australia’s experience.”
Authorities say the goal is not to limit access to technology but to protect vulnerable users from exploitation, exposure, and harm linked to digital platforms.
Global Attention and Mixed Reactions
Countries worldwide are closely observing Australia’s approach. European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said at a UN forum in New York that she felt “inspired” by Australia’s “common-sense” legislation. Denmark’s Ambassador to Australia, Ingrid Dahl-Madsen, also confirmed that her government plans to study the law as it explores ways to protect young people from online risks.
However, critics argue that enforcing the ban could compromise user privacy, since all users may need to verify their age. Wells said the government aims to safeguard user data while ensuring compliance.
Last year, more than 140 Australian and international academics signed an open letter to Prime Minister Anthony Albanese opposing the age restriction. They described the measure as “too blunt an instrument to address risks effectively” and urged the government to consider more nuanced approaches to digital safety.

